The National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program celebrates nutritious meals at school. This annual campaign by the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) focuses on challenging kids and staff to try new foods offered in the cafeteria.
Any Texas school student in kindergarten through twelfth grades is invited to participate. One entry per student per theme is allowed.
The theme for the 2017 - 2018 National School Lunch Week (NSLW) is Rock the Day With a Healthy School Lunch! The theme for the 2017 - 2018
School Breakfast Week (SBW) Art Competition will be announced soon.
Create your own advertisement for school lunch and/or breakfast based on these themes. Artwork can be realistic or abstract. Since the winning artwork will be used for a statewide campaign, please do not include school specific icons in your submission.
Media and Technique Requirements
Any of the following media or techniques may be used:
- Paint (watercolor, tempera, poster, acrylic, etc.)
- Drawing materials (pencil, charcoal, colored chalk, pastels, oil pastels, colored pencils, markers, etc.)
- Collage materials (cut and glued papers, such as construction paper, tissue paper, wrapping paper, aluminum foil, etc.)
- Prints (handmade stencils, gadget printing, collographs, block prints, etc.)
- Original digital illustrations
Use bold colors and strong lines because your artwork will be enlarged so that TDA can display it.
- A panel of judges will review all entries.
- Judges will be Food and Nutrition experts and other applicable staff at the Texas Department of Agriculture.
The selection committee will review artwork submissions based on the following criteria:
- Interpretation of the theme
- Technical skill
Any artwork that depicts copyrighted images will be rejected. For example, no artworks depicting characters from television shows, movies, video games, or books will be accepted. All artworks must be original ideas and must be created entirely by the student.
- All participants will receive a certificate of participation.
- The finalist from each grade’s artwork will be featured in the online gallery at www.squaremeals.org/artcontest as well as at the State Capitol during the 2017-2018 school year.
- One Best–in–Show finalist will be chosen from both primary and secondary schools for each campaign (NSLW & SBW) and will receive:
- Artwork used for 2017 - 2018 NSLW & SBW Statewide Campaigns (one for primary school campaign and one for secondary school campaign for both NSLW and SBW; four total winners)
- Website announcement
- A plaque of recognition
- Original artwork framed side-by-side with the professional piece and letter from Commissioner Miller
Submission of Artwork
Create a digital image of your artwork by one of these methods:
- Scan your artwork
- Take a digital photograph of your artwork. Save your photograph at the largest size possible that does not exceed 1MB. For example, a 5" x 7" digital photograph should be large enough for the judges to see detail while still being smaller than 1MB. If your image is larger than 1MB, you can use photo editing software (such as Photoshop or MS Picture Manager) to resize it by either lowering the resolution (DPI) or by shrinking the image dimensions.
- You can also change the settings on your scanner or digital camera to create an image of lower resolution.
- Another way to resize your photo is to use an image optimizer, such as www.imageoptimizer.net.
Use the following settings:
Submit Your Artwork
Save your digital image as a .jpg or .pdf using the following naming convention:
[your last name]_[school]_[campaign]_[grade].jpg (or .pdf)
Gomez_AustinHigh_NSLW_9.jpg or .pdf
Complete the entry form and make sure your parents sign the parent/guardian release form.
Attach the entry form
and the release form
with your digital artwork file to:
. Provide a brief description of your artwork.
Deadline for Entries
The deadline for entries is 5:00 P.M. (CST), on May 15, 2017. Only complete applications will be accepted. Entries received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Notification of Finalists
Finalists will be notified in August for NSLW and January for SBW.