Application Due: received by TDA before close of business (5:00 p.m. CT) on Tuesday, May 2, 2017.
The Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) is accepting applications for the Establishing the 3E’s Grant Program
(E3E) to promote better health and nutrition programs and prevent obesity among preschool children in the state. The objective of the program is to increase awareness of the importance of good nutrition, to encourage children's health and well-being through Education, Exercise and Eating right.
The Establishing the 3E’s program is intended for any child care contracting entities (independent or sponsor) in the Child and Adult Care Food Program
(CACFP) or community organization to establish their Healthier CACFP Award Program
, or extend an existing wellness program.
To be eligible for E3E funds, an applying organization must be in good standing with TDA and must:
- Be an organization that:
- participates in early childhood education, including:
- the CACFP as administered by TDA;
- a Head Start Program, as defined in 42 USC 9801 et seq., and 45 CFR Parts 1301-1311; or
- another early childhood education program; and
- certifies that it will use awarded funds to provide nutrition education to children between the ages of three and five years old; or
- Be a community or faith-based initiative that:
- provides recreational, social, volunteer, leadership, mentoring, or developmental programs; and
- certifies that it will use awarded funds to provide nutrition education to children younger than 19 years of age.
Grant funds may be used to establish, implement or extend:
Forms and guidelines
Establishing the 3E's Nutrition Grant Program Application and Instructions
- comprehensive wellness efforts to achieve either Bronze, Silver or Gold status in the *Healthier CACFP Award Program, including activities to improve:
- physical activity
- nutrition education
- and/or the child care environment
*Only organizations with a current contract with TDA Food and Nutrition Division to administer the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) are eligible to apply for the Healthier CACFP Award Program. Please refer to Attachment A for award criteria.
- activities that supplement or extend current farm to pre-school or child care educational activities, such as but not limited to:
- garden-based learning
- other experiential learning opportunities teaching students about Texas agriculture or
- other wellness programs.
If an organization has received and accepted a 2015 E3E award, it is ineligible to receive another E3E grant.
For questions regarding E3E, please contact the Grants Office at (512) 463-6695 or by email at: grants@TexasAgriculture.gov