Latest News for the Food Distribution Program

USDA Clarifications for USDA Foods Entitlement Usage

" October 27, 2021 - USDA has provided updated guidance for spending USDA Foods entitlement in school year 2021-2022.
October 27, 2021 - USDA has reported that many states have high inventory balances for unused USDA Foods from school year 2021 as a result of COVID-19.

Because state agencies and CEs must use excess carry over inventory in school year 2022, USDA is asking that we only request what they can use in school year 2022 to avoid perpetuating excess inventory problems. Excess inventories can result in food losses and have a negative financial impact on industry partners.

USDA and TDA will not penalize CEs if they are unable to spend their full entitlement value during school year 2022. CEs may utilize this information during their annual audit to assist them in explaining remaining entitlement balances.


Assistance available in English and Spanish. Please call 877-TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325) for help.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. Logo

Texas Department of Agriculture Logo

Texas Department of Agriculture

Commissioner Sid Miller

Facebook Icon Instagram Icon
Twitter Icon YouTube Icon