Latest Coronavirus Updates
Get Started with CACFP
Adult Day
Care Centers

Public or private nonprofit adult day care facilities which provide structured, comprehensive services to nonresidential adults who are functionally impaired or aged 60 and older, may be eligible to participate in CACFP as independent or sponsored centers.
Child Care Centers
Eligible public or private nonprofit child care centers, outside-school-hours care centers, Head Start programs, and other institutions which are licensed or approved to provide day care services may be eligible to participate in the CACFP, independently or as sponsored centers.
Day Care Homes
A family or group day care home must sign an agreement with a sponsoring organization to participate in the CACFP. Day care homes must be licensed or approved to provide day care services.
Afterschool At-Risk Programs
Eligible At-Risk programs must be organized primarily to provide care for children after school or on the weekends, holidays, or school vacations during the regular school year;  provide organized regularly scheduled education or enrichment activities; and be located in an attendance area of school where at least 50 percent or more of the children are eligible for free or reduced-price meals.
The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) plays a vital role in improving the quality of day care and making it more affordable for many low-income families.

CACFP serves nutritious meals and snacks to eligible children and adults who are enrolled for care at participating child care centers, day care homes, and adult day care centers. CACFP also provides meals to children residing in emergency shelters, and snacks to youths participating in afterschool care programs.

CACFP Quick Reference


Before You Apply
Visit this page to complete the intake form to provide TDA with information about your organization.

After submission of the intake form, your organization will receive a confirmation email at the address you provide.  TDA will review the intake form and determine if your organization is subject to a financial viability review.  Organizations that are subject to the financial viability review will be sent the financial viability packet via email.  Organizations that are not subject to the financial viability review will be sent the next steps in the process.

You will then be able to use the instructions under "When You're Ready to Apply" to apply for CACFP.

When You're Ready To Apply
Utilize these resources for the general application processes:

Per federal regulations, applicants may not contract with a third party for the preparation and submittal of application materials.

Then follow the specific instructions for your program by selecting one of the options below:

If you need assistance or a paper application, please contact TDA at (877) TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325).

Assistance available in English and Spanish. Please call 877-TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325) for help.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. Logo

Texas Department of Agriculture Logo

Texas Department of Agriculture

Commissioner Sid Miller

Facebook Icon Instagram Icon
Twitter Icon YouTube Icon