Some schools may become authorized shelters or meal providers for evacuees. If these schools use USDA foods to prepare the meals, they will be credited the amount of USDA foods used in their Entitlement Account. For this to occur, school districts will be asked to provide the following information to the TDA Commodity Operations Section.
- As school districts begin to open shelters, immediately notify John Kyere at TDA via e-mail at John.Kyere@TexasAgriculture.gov or at 512-475-0077 to advise of shelters and shelter locations that will be opened.
- If a district uses USDA foods to provide meals, within 30 days of closing a shelter, the district must track and report the following:
- Distribution period: dates USDA foods are used to assist in congregate feeding
- Commodity description: the type of USDA food used with USDA commodity code (reference Texas Unified Nutrition Programs System – TX-UNPS)
- Number of cases: the quantity of USDA food used
- Number of persons served
Should you have any questions, please call John Kyere, Program Specialist, at 512-475-0077 or Cristina Rodriguez, Program Specialist, at 512-463-7444.