School Nutrition Eligibility for Households
What Food Programs Are Available for Households with School-Age Children?
Determine If You're Eligible

Qualified school-age students from low-income households may receive nutritious meals through programs managed by the Food and Nutrition Division at the Texas Department of Agriculture.

Two programs provide no cost and reduced-price meals at schools:

Summer Meal Programs offer no cost breakfast and/or lunch during summer.

Not all schools participate in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Programs. Some schools operate their own programs separate from TDA and USDA. Be sure to check with your school to determine what programs they operate.

FAQ for Households - Use the + Button to Expand Each Section
Are my children eligible for no cost or reduced-price meals through their school?  Maximize 

What is the definition of a household and how does it affect my eligibility?  Maximize 

What items are included as part of a school lunch or breakfast and do my children have
to select everything offered?  Maximize 

Are schools required to make menu substitutions for children who cannot eat the regular
lunch or breakfast?

How do I apply for food help for school-age children?  Maximize 

Are there other programs my household may qualify for?  Maximize 

Assistance available in English and Spanish. Please call 877-TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325) for help. Additional translations services available as well.

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

1. Mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
2. Fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. Logo

Facebook Icon Instagram Icon
Twitter Icon YouTube Icon