School Nutrition Eligibility for Households
What Food Programs Are Available for Households with School-Age Children?
Determine If You're Eligible

Qualified school-age students from low-income households may receive nutritious meals through programs managed by the Food and Nutrition Division at the Texas Department of Agriculture.

Two programs provide no cost and reduced-price meals at schools:

Summer Meal Programs offer no cost breakfast and/or lunch during summer.

Not all schools participate in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Programs. Some schools operate their own programs separate from TDA and USDA. Be sure to check with your school to determine what programs they operate.

FAQ for Households - Use the + Button to Expand Each Section
Are my children eligible for no cost or reduced-price meals through their school?  Maximize 

What is the definition of a household and how does it affect my eligibility?  Maximize 

What items are included as part of a school lunch or breakfast and do my children have
to select everything offered?  Maximize 

Are schools required to make menu substitutions for children who cannot eat the regular
lunch or breakfast?

How do I apply for food help for school-age children?  Maximize 

Are there other programs my household may qualify for?  Maximize 

Assistance available in English and Spanish. Please call 877-TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325) for help.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. Logo

Texas Department of Agriculture Logo

Texas Department of Agriculture

Commissioner Sid Miller

Facebook Icon Instagram Icon
Twitter Icon YouTube Icon