Award amount: $5,000+
Application period: CLOSED
Award Notification Complete
The Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) has awarded grants authorized by the FY 2016 Agriculture Appropriations Act for NSLP participants. Grants will allow School Food Authorities (SFAs) to purchase nonexpendable, tangible property for schools with a useful life of more than one year and a per-unit acquisition cost of $5,000 or more. TDA used a competitive grant process to distribute a total of $3,726,177 among Texas schools that best fit the consideration requirements.We based awards on actual expenses and return un-used funds to USDA.
The application period closed on May 18, 2016. We announced the awards on July 15, 2016. Grants are made to SFAs, which will be responsible for procurement. SFAs must obligate grant funds by August 1, 2017, and to fully expend the funds by September 30, 2017.
Eligible schools must have at least 50 percent of enrolled students eligible for free or reduced price meals. Grant evaluations gave priority to schools that did not receive an award from a previous NSLP equipment assistance grant and those with limited access to other financial resources.
Evaluations considered the following:
- Age of food service equipment being replaced
- The proposed equipment’s potential impact on improving meal quality, such as if it improves:
- the safety of the food served in the school meals served,
- overall energy efficiency of the school food service operations, or
- NSLP or SBP participation rates.
- The equipment’s role in a larger strategy for adopting smarter lunchrooms (lunchroom changes that provide more convenience and appeal to the student population, highlighting healthier choices, redesigning menus that target healthier entrees/options).
Click to see an overview of the scoring criteria and specific equipment score values. Click here to learn more about how the equipment score values are determined.