CACFP meal patterns ensure participating children and adults have access to healthy, balanced meals. The infant meal patterns support breastfeeding
and enhance the nutritional quality of CACFP meals for infants.
Encourage and Support Breastfeeding
- Providers may receive reimbursement for meals when a breastfeeding mother comes to the day are center or home and directly breastfeeds her infant; and
- Only breastmilk and infant formula are served to infants 0 through 5 months old.
Developmentally Appropriate Meals
- Two age groups, instead of three: 0 through 5 months old and 6 through 11 months old; and
- Solid foods are gradually introduced around 6 months of age, as developmentally appropriate.
More Nutritious Meals
- Requires a vegetable or fruit, or both, to be served as a snack for infants 6 through 11 months old;
- No longer allows juice or cheese food or cheese spread to be served; and
- Allows ready-to-eat cereals at snack time
Click the Resources pages to view a downloadable version of the entire CACFP Meal Pattern brochure.