The application for the 2021-22 School year is currently closed. It will reopen in August. Please email HART@TexasAgriculture.gov with any questions.
About Health Ambassadors for a Ready Texas:
The Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) recognizes that student leaders have a powerful voice for improving health and wellness on school campuses. TDA developed Health Ambassadors for a Ready Texas (HART) to inspire and recognize exceptional Texas high school students as they champion healthy lifestyles for their peers. HART connects ambassadors and their school nutrition teams with resources and support for promoting healthy eating, Texas agriculture and school nutrition programs.
As a Health Ambassador, you will get to:
- Participate in activities that promote healthy eating and Texas agriculture among your peers
- Promote the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs
- Provide state officials with feedback and recommendations for improving school nutrition programs
- Organize exciting events such as taste tests to sample local produce
- Join a network of Health Ambassadors across the state of Texas
To be eligible, you must:
- Currently be enrolled in high school in the 9th, 10th or 11th grade
- Attend a Texas school that participates in the National School Lunch Program. Check here if you are unsure if your school district participates in the National School Lunch Program.
- Have an email address to receive HART newsletters and program materials
If selected as a Health Ambassador, you are required to:
- Participate in activities promoting healthy eating and Texas agriculture
- Complete progress reports
- Attend statewide conference calls to share ideas and feedback to TDA
- Meet with your HART Advisor once per month to discuss and coordinate activities for upcoming school nutrition initiatives