Search for Articles:    

Free USDA Foods Pounds Available in the Texas State Accounts

TDA has completed its annual “Sweeps” process to move excess and unused carry over pounds at the processors into the state account. TDA would like to make these pounds available to contracting entities (CEs) participating in further processing of USDA Foods. CEs can utilize them by May 31, 2019, at no charge to entitlement. CEs may now request these free pounds beginning Monday, December 17, 2018 and up to Friday, February 15, 2019. 

Send requests to

TDA will evaluate requests utilizing the below criteria:

  1. Pounds will be granted on a “first come, first serve” basis; 
  2. Requests will be compared to the CE’s average monthly usage to determine reasonableness; and
  3. Pounds will not be granted to CEs that had pounds swept for the requested processor.

Completed commodity calculators must be submitted with the e-mail request as supporting documentation (calculators can be obtained from the processors).

Swept pounds were allocated to the state in school year 2017-2018; therefore, they will not roll over into school year 2019-2020. These pounds will be swept on July 1 if unused.

Please review the preliminary list of Carry Over Commodities available here.

Articles by Category

Assistance available in English and Spanish. Please call 877-TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325) for help.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Texas Department of Agriculture
Commissioner Sid Miller