Latest Coronavirus Updates
Food Safety for Summer Meal Programs

Understanding Health Inspections for Summer Food

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) Contracting Entities (CE) are required to meet all applicable state and local health, safety, and sanitation standards. Before SFSP operations begin, a CE must notify in writing the appropriate state, city or county health department of its intent to provide a food service including specific locations and times. A copy of this notification must be submitted to TDA with the CE's application.

In Texas, local health, safety, and sanitation standards may vary depending on where a site is located and how the site is operating (Food Service Management Company, on-site food preparations, etc.). It is the CE's responsibility to know, understand, and comply with all state and/or local health and safety standards.

Please use the steps below to find contact information for your local health inspector. It is the responsibility of CEs and sites to contact their local health department to ensure implementation of the latest requirements and standards.

Note: If you need assistance ensuring you are complying with all applicable state and local health, safety, and sanitation standards, attend a food safety training class hosted by your regional Education Service Center (ESC). Click here to find the ESC that services your region.

Health Department Locator

Once a CE has chosen its prospective SFSP sites, the CE must notify the appropriate local health department(s) in writing of all prospective summer site locations. The instructions below help CEs identify the contact information of the appropriate health department(s) for their SFSP site operation(s). CEs must contact each county and city that has local jurisdiction where they operate an SFSP site. If there is not a local county or city health authority, then CEs must contact the regional health department that covers their area.

Find your health department:

Step 1: Click here to find your county on DSHS Public Health Coverage Map.

Step 2: Identify if your county has a local health department or regional health department.

  • The map also identifies a select few cities that have their own local health department.

Step 3: Locate contact information for your local or regional health department.

  • If your county or city is overseen by a local health department, click here to view a list of local public health organizations and contact information.
  • If your county is overseen by a regional health department, click here to view a list of regional headquarters and contact information.

Assistance available in English and Spanish. Please call 877-TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325) for help.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. Logo

Texas Department of Agriculture Logo

Texas Department of Agriculture

Commissioner Sid Miller

Facebook Icon Instagram Icon
Twitter Icon YouTube Icon