Food and Nutrition News Channels
Important news for contracting entities operating federal nutrition programs administered by the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA).

ESC Newsletters

Previous CACFP Insight, NSLP Biweekly or SFSP In The Loop newsletters and how to sign up.


Recall notices from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Other recall notices include voluntary recalls implemented by manufacturers and distributors.

Requesting Free Carry-over Pounds

" Dec. 11, 2017

For CEs participating in further processing of USDA Foods, CEs may request free carry-over pounds from the State Account beginning December 7, 2017, up to Close of Business January 15, 2018.

Requests for additional pounds will be evaluated on a “First come, First serve” basis.  During the State Agencies evaluation of requests, priority will be given to schools identified as being impacted by Hurricane Harvey whenever possible.  Please review the preliminary list of Carry Over Commodities available here.

To make a request, CEs must analyze their current average monthly usage, ensure months of inventory on hand are at acceptable levels, and ensure the forecast (commodity calculator) for additional pounds is calculated up to May 31, 2018, excluding Summer Feeding.  CEs must have an existing processing contract for the processor(s) for which they would like to request additional pounds. If the current average monthly usage and months of inventory on hand are at acceptable levels, then the CE may forward the request, with their commodity calculator(s), to TDA at; Subject: Request for Free Carry-over Pounds.  Make sure to copy your co-op coordinator. 


Assistance available in English and Spanish. Please call 877-TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325) for help.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Texas Department of Agriculture

Commissioner Sid Miller